Monday, March 31, 2008

Highlights of the day...

So we got up this morning...I showered last night and was planning on straightening my hair with my flat iron this morning. I was plugged into my adapter (to adjust the voltage for my iron), and it took a while to heat up. I'm finally using it and I get halfway done (the bottom half) when I smell something funny, but I think nothing of it...after all, we are in a hotel in a 3rd world country. Then I hear a pop...at this point I'm suspicious but still in denial. But I couldn't ignore the smoke floating up a moment later. I got that plug out of the wall so fast...and there wasn't enough heat to finish my hair, so I gave up and put the top part up. It was pretty funny...I almost set my hotel room on fire...

Our plans changed today and we ended up doing a clinic in the country. It was pretty fun...I was teaching kids how to brush their teeth, which was going well, until this LITTLE one was brushing her teeth and spitting on the ground. I was trying to get her to spit in the bucket like everyone else had been doing and I'm pointing at the bucket. Next thing I know, she sticks her toothbrush in the bucket (EEWWW!) and puts it back in her mouth before I could catch her. It was the grossest thing I saw today!

After we finished with clinic, their school kids challenged us to a game of soccer...yep, a bunch of out-of-shape Americans running around playing soccer at 13,000 feet. We got our butts kicked, but it was SO FUN!!! We actually scored a couple of goals once one of the guys started playing with us on our team.

Lots of walking, shopping, and look at me go -- 2nd day here and I've quit wearing my seatbelt. There's no need...with the way they drive, that little belt isn't going to do much. It's fabulous!

Gotta run for tonight...will try to keep making updates. I'm having a great time!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now that is funny. Please be careful.
Megan