Sunday, July 22, 2007

My Trip to Cali… a nice getaway

I took off for California on Thursday, the 12th of July, to get out of SLC for the weekend, and had a great time. There is something about being on the open road that I LOVE! It was so peaceful, and was exactly what I needed. I spent the night in Elko, and made the rest of the drive on Friday morning.

Friday, I got together with friends…Tiffiny (who moved to San Francisco at the same time I moved to SLC last year), Nicole, Christina, and Mary. It was so good to see and talk with so many friends there. We had a great time catching up!

Saturday, I attended the wedding and reception of another friend, Jenn, and then FINALLY was able to see and attend the Sacramento Temple. It is BEAUTIFUL! I cannot describe how I felt there, as I realized it feels like “my temple”, even though it’s the first time I’ve been in it. Nicole was one of the workers and we were able to see a lot of each other in there.

Here’s the history: we’d been anticipating the Sacramento Temple for years, but there was a lot of opposition in it being built, and it was delayed many times. Consequently, while I lived in the area for 3 years, we traveled 100 miles one-way to Oakland to attend the temple. I don’t regret those days, as I had some marvelous experiences (do you get as many blessings if you RACE the entire way to the temple on a ward temple trip?...I won...). Anyways, they were building the Sacramento Temple and I wanted to wait “just a few more months” before I moved to Utah, so I could work in it during the Open House (like EVERYONE I know got to). But I’d put off my move several months already because I was unwilling to move to UT in the winter (who in their right mind would move from CA to UT in the winter?!). So I missed the Open House and Dedication by about a month. The Lord’s answer to me in that request was “Am I not sending you to a place with MANY beautiful temples? Is that not good enough?” It has been good enough for me…I have thoroughly enjoyed all of the temples in the SLC area, but as I attended the Sacramento Temple on Saturday, it still felt like “my temple”.



I went to a pool party at someone’s home on Sat night…is it just me, or do the “young single adults” keep getting younger? ;-)

Sunday, I was able to see Alena and Sam, along with a few other friends. What a great experience to visit and catch up with them! They are amazing people, and I am blessed to call them friends. (see her blog at "teamalena.blogspot.com") Church was amazing…sadly, I’d forgotten what it felt like to truly be fed by the Spirit at church. I was left with such a feeling of how much the Lord loves me, and all of His children. I was “centered” once again in my life.

Monday was another great drive across the state of Nevada, my home-state. Whenever I enter, I have to sing the state song “Home Means Nevada”, as I learned it in grade-school. I am so thankful for the opportunity I had to visit a place I once called home, and the wonderful friends I still have there. :-)

No comments: