Monday, May 26, 2008

Moving to Portland

One-way flight from Portland to Salt Lake City ... $201.40
Speeding ticket in Idaho ... $140.00
Near-miss seat-belt ticket ... $0.00 (almost $97!)
Injuries from walking on the beach in bare feet ... $14.44
Having a friend who not only paid for all of that to help ME move to Portland for the summer, but then thanked me for inviting her at the end of it ... PRICELESS!!!


Yes, I have officially moved to Portland, OR for the summer as a travel nurse. I moved here the weekend of May 23-26th, and Heather helped me drive up here, unpack, and explore for the weekend. As you can tell, we had some great experiences! I mean, really...do you know ANYONE who has gotten a ticket in IDAHO??!! She keeps reminding me that it happened shortly after I had told told her she could safely go 90 mph through Idaho...they never stop you for speeding there! She happened to be driving my car, which I am personally thankful for because it didn't matter who had been driving at the time, we would have been pulled over and ticketed. Mine probably would have been worse...and I'm a lot closer to losing my license over speeding tickets than she is! That's only her 2nd one in her entire life!!! For me, that wouldn't even be my 2nd ticket since January (it would have been my 3rd)!!! I was blessed. :-)

On Sunday, we went out to visit my friends, the Felts (see last August posts) who live in Long Beach, Washington. Two funny things happened there... (at least two that I'm willing to share!)...

While we were doing a driving tour on the Peninsula with Tiffany, we got tagged by a police officer who was looking into cars and ticketing those who weren't wearing their seatbelt. Again, apparently Heather always forgets to wear her seatbelt when she is riding in the back seat...not anymore...now she always wears it! The only reason he didn't ticket her was because he was close personal friends with Brian and Tiffany and she was in the car with us! Lucky!!!

Funny story about the foot injuries from walking on the beach... Heather and I went for a walk on the beach, carrying our shoes so we could walk barefoot through the sand and water. We got talking and weren't paying attention to how far we had walked, and when we finally turned around and walked back, it was well over a mile. Anyways, things seemed fine...no problems till later. Heather mentioned at one point that her foot was hurting a little. The next day I noticed she was limping on it, so I said something and she finally admitted just how painful it had gotten. I immediately took her to the store and we bought things to help it. So we were at the check-out stand at Target and the cashier asked us how we were doing, and we both answered "Fine" and "Great". The couple behind us started LAUGHING and said, "You are buying 2 ace bandages, ice packs, and pain killers (Ibuprofen and Tylenol)...and you're FINE?!" Then we all started laughing! I drugged her up and dressed up her foot and put her on a plane back home to SLC... and I definitely realize how blessed I am to have a friend who is there with me through it all, even when it comes at great personal (and financial) sacrifice!!! Again, I am VERY BLESSED!!!





No comments: