Saturday, May 10, 2008

Home Improvement 101...

OR Why I should not be allowed to do this...

Let me start by saying that 2300 square feet sounded fun until I started cleaning and working on it. What was I thinking?! In an effort to get the light smell of cigarette smoke out, I took about 7-10 days before moving all of my belongings in, set up a bed in the dining room and lived there while shampooing the carpets, washing some walls, scrubbing out the kitchen and bathrooms, and overall cleaning. I was blessed with the help of a couple of very good friends...Mary, who is going to be my roommate and actually live there (she has an interest in making things good), and Heather, who is just plain crazy, but so fun to do home improvement projects with! Here are a couple of the more interesting experiences...

Heather and I found some odor spray while shopping at Walmart at 12:30 a.m., so we decided to try it that night on the ceiling of the basement, where the worst of the smell was. We took turns spraying it straight up while trying to not get it on us or breath too much of it in, as it did burn the lungs a little, and it wasn't recommended for human consumption. That was fairly entertaining as we were spraying it at nearly 2:00 in the morning! Surprisingly it actually worked!

We also decided to change out the doorknobs and locks one day, as I have a crazy neighbor that has tried to just walk in before. That took a couple of hours...I know, we did try to follow the directions eventually when all else failed!

Here are a few pics...I will save the painting stories for another post!

Mary mopping in the dining room


Me cleaning the fridge...I know...nice shot.


Me cleaning the kitchen


More kitchen cleaning

No comments: