Thursday, May 15, 2008

Painting 101... part 1

This is where my home improvement projects got interesting...and Heather was there for all of it!

It started the night we were in Home Depot together shopping for the Kilz2 to prime the walls with. I had decided that just one of the upstairs bedrooms needed to be painted, in part because of the color, but also to get rid of the cigarette smell. Everyone said to try the Kilz products because they do a marvelous job covering up the smell, and you can paint anything on top of them. I opted to start with the Kilz2 since it was water based and would be easier to clean up. The worker at Home Depot who was helping us made an innocent joke about Heather being my daughter...which we laughed at later but I was so not amused with at the time. Yes, I know I'm getting older but come on!!! Do I really look that much older than her? (Don't answer that)... Anyways, back to the story. We bought our supplies and headed to my home.

The room...





We prepped the room by laying down tape and tarps, taking off all the doors, blinds and other outlet things, etc. I even dusted the walls in preparation. Just as I was pouring the stuff into the pan, I decided to read the directions. It went something like this: "Prep the walls by ... blah blah blah..., paint evenly onto the walls ...blah blah blah, clean up with ... blah blah blah..." That's exactly how I read it too...I mean, come on...I've painted before! I know what I'm doing.





I primed with the roller while she used the brush for the edges...we had a great time as we talked and laughed about things. About 2 hours into it we were just finishing when Heather asked "What's that bubble on the wall?". We both looked and noticed that it wasn't just one...the walls actually had bubbles coming out on them! It was then that Heather asked me what all the "blah blah blah's" were in the instructions, and I read them again. It was something about preparing the walls by washing them with something special before priming them...but who actually DOES that? I mean, that's what the primer is for right? It just "covers it all up and seals it in" like everyone told me right? I made the decision as the new home-owner that we should pop them, peel off the loose paint and sand them down later after it had dried. I couldn't after all leave bubbles on my wall could I?!

So now we're peeling... Yes, this is Heather...







And peeling...and laughing...





And having a peeling contest...we hung our biggest whole pieces on the window!

2 comments:

jessi9380 said...

HA! We're nurses after all, what the hell do we need to read instructions for???? :-)

Wendy M said...

That's what I thought!!! Especially ER Nurses! We don't have time for that crap! :-)