Tuesday, April 1, 2008

I ate WHAT???

Today was busy...I didn´t get any sleep last night, but got up and going this morning just the same. I bought my first antibiotics from the pharmacy using my limited Spanish all by myself! It was a proud moment. We took a bus to a very remote village, which wasn´t terrifically far by mileage, but took about 2 hours to get to. It might be a good thing that I can´t post the pictures yet, because people would worry about me too much...I took a lot of ¨National Geographic¨ pics today as I saw some of the most amazing scenery I´ve ever seen in my life. I´ve always heard people say that Montana is God´s country, but I saw it today, and it is absolutely breath taking here in the Andes!

We had a cultural celebration put on for us by the villagers, and they actually fed us Guinnea Pig for lunch, which is their most honored meal. Yep, I ate more than just 2 bites too!

We held clinic where we saw their children, and then some of the adults from the village. One boy had chest pain upon exertion, and I immediately suspected asthma but couldn´t hear wheezing...so I sent him outside to run for a minute and come back when he had the pain again...next thing I know, I look out the window and he´s running around all the school buildings! I thought he´d just run around the courtyard a little, but he was out for a full run! Sure enough...I heard more wheezing when he came back!

Let me preface this next story by saying that most of the women here in our group keep at least a little money in their bras...I don´t do that, but I do faithfully wear my hidden money pouch in my pants just below the belt line, with all the things I absolutely cannot lose on this trip. So yesterday we´re eating lunch and the surgeon from the Idaho group who is with us asks if anyone has contact solution. I knew that I had eye drops, which I offerred... Now we´re sitting around the table eating guinnea pig, and I´m reaching down my pants trying to get these eye drops out of my money belt. Let´s just say it looked awfully funny, and everyone was laughing! He wasn´t sure he wanted to use them, especially when they came out warm!

It was a great day!

1 comment:

Teddy, Scott, & baby Jane said...

I've had that too! Qui! It really wasn't that bad I didn't think. Tasted just like chicken (sord of).....with some hair on the skin still. Way to venture out!