Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Working Christmas…part 2 – Christmas Night

The second night of my adventure started with a planned pot-luck. One of the doctors was providing the meat, and everyone else had to bring all of the other things to add to our Christmas dinner at the hospital. In the past, they have provided hamburgers and hot-dogs or steaks and we’ve barbecued (yes, the ER has a department gas barbecue that we keep right outside near the ambulance bay). I was curious to see what the meat would be this night. Imagine my surprise to learn that she had brought two 20-lb turkeys, and someone else brought the deep-fryer – my first time to have deep-fried turkey! They do this is the south, but here there’s six inches of snow on the ground outside and the temps are in the 20’s!!! And yet, the dinner must go on!

The Turkey...


The Warning...


At least we're a Burn Center!!!

Ryan is one of our EMT's...

...and he's a pyro!

Safety First!

Our Charge Nurse, Brad...

Second Turkey...

One of the Airmed guys there to watch...

Do I look as cold as I feel?!

Now THAT is a beautiful bird!

Christmas Dinner!

This was one of the best turkeys I've ever had!

Our resident Pharmacist, Erin carves the bird with a scalpel...

She can do anything!!!

What would Christmas be without presents? Our Unit Secretary and EMT brought/made white-elephant gifts for everyone!

Everyone enjoyed the gift exchange.


Brad got a Family Home Evening Manual from 1977!!!




Overall, it was a fabulous Christmas, and a very memorable one for me! I'm not sad that I was working it.

No comments: