Monday, December 17, 2007

Gratitude

Several days ago, I was whining to a good friend about how “difficult” my December has been this year. I have had such a bah-humbug attitude, and have not wanted to do Christmas shopping, or dinners or anything. I was even reluctant to decorate my tree (yep, the tree I worked so hard to get)! This dear friend came over and helped me decorate it, and so it got done. I even had a hard time getting my Christmas cards! I’d ordered photo cards this year, and was excited to send them out until in the process of having them shipped to me, they ended up in California first, and I got them about 7 days later than I’d planned. Everything seemed to be more difficult this year.

This same friend encouraged me to go home and make a list of the things I am grateful for. I figured it would be easy since I’d done it last month as part of my Thanksgiving tradition, and yet I found a whole different set of things on this list. It did help me to focus on all the things I’ve been blessed with, and so I share that list with you…

I am thankful for…
1. Hot showers!
2. Water in every form – oceans, lakes, swimming pools, etc…
3. Palm trees!
4. Warm, tropical places, even in the winter.
5. A great job and the chance to work with fabulous people, whom I love!
6. My medical knowledge and the ability that I have to bless the lives of others with it.
7. Flexibility with work in hours, days and time off, as well as travel. I LOVE not being tied to a desk in a 9-5 job anymore!!!
8. My family.
9. Travel – something I love dearly!
10. Good health.
11. Good friends!
12. The computer / internet, which makes it so easy to connect with people and find information so easily!
13. TV.
14. Modern conveniences like plumbing and electricity, and the heater in my car!
15. My car!
16. The different places I’ve lived and people I’ve met along the way.
17. Religion – and the peace and direction it gives me in my life.
18. Sunshine!
19. Massages!
20. My driving skills, and the many times I’ve spent “playing” in my car on dirt roads and in the snow. Those things have taught me much about how to handle my car when it really matters!
21. My independence and all that I’m able to accomplish when I set my mind to it.
22. Creativity, and the many ideas I have in my multiple mediums.
23. Hot cocoa from Starbucks!!!
24. Common sense (most of the time!).
25. My sensitivity to the feelings of others, and especially my ability to “read” others at times, and see things in their hearts that are not obvious on the surface.
26. Afternoon naps!
27. A dear friend who cared enough to listen and then encouraged me to sit and write this list.

No comments: