Saturday, October 20, 2007

Poor Coping? You decide...

As we head into this cold, snowy winter season (yes, I realize that technically I’m 2 months early, but tonight it is going to snow here), I’ve been feeling more anxious and “unbalanced” than usual. I feel at times that I’m grasping for anything to keep me from drowning in the cold gloom that goes with the weather, and the season. In this spirit, I have discovered a new coping mechanism for myself – SHOPPING! While I have in the past required an occasional “shopping spree” 2-3 times per year, lately I feel as if I’ve grasped onto it like there’s no tomorrow…like it’s the single thing that will save me from drowning in the gloom of the cold, dark season.

It all started as I was searching for a certain fabric in a certain color, for one of my next projects. I went to various fabric stores, and was unable to find it. I then realized that I could possibly find it in a blanket in a department store, and even save money just buying and cutting up a blanket and using that. I started with the easy ones – Walmart, Target, and the like, and while I found the fabric, I never found the color I wanted. This stretched, and I moved to the mall, and Mervyn’s, JC Penney’s, Sears, and Bed Bath and Beyond. I finally found something that would likely work, but thought I could find a SLIGHTLY better shade…so I kept going… Never give up, right? Isn’t that what they say?

It took 4 sweaters, 3 pairs of shades, 2 bras, a handbag, 2 pairs of tennis shoes, 6 new photo albums (some big and some small), and even some CHRISTMAS SHOPPING (2 months early from my usual routine!) for me to realize that the store I’d gone to does not actually have the better shade of fabric I was looking for. Six more sweaters, and some thinner shirts to go underneath these new sweaters, and I finally realize I might have a problem. Then, because of the stress of it all, I had to go get a massage to help "come down" from it all. I have managed to single-handedly replenish an entire winter wardrobe in the last few days. I have spent enough to go to Disney World for a week!

I must say that this is a new challenge for me. I’ve never been that fond of shopping before, and NEVER spend like a maniac. I have GOT to get control of this before it gets any worse…(except I do still need a pair of snow boots and some clothes to go skiing in this winter). So for anyone who is under the illusion that I lived a charmed and perfect life, here’s proof that I don’t.

Now I’m off to work for the night. I will likely be driving home in 2-6 inches of snow tomorrow morning. Fun.

No comments: